It’s that time of the year when holiday cheer, ski season and new years resolutions are upon us. However, if you are like me (especially if you live in CO) your hair hates the winter. I have naturally curly hair which means I can’t straighten my hair as much in the winter and if I do, my scalp throws a fit and split ends occur.
Luckily for me, I’ve had three older sisters to teach me how to take care of my hair in the winter (shout out to my sistas!). I can’t tell you what will work for your hair but I can share with you what I do and what I use during these dry times.
The shampoo I use is Garnier Fructis‘ Fall Fight, Triple Nutrition and Hydra Recharge (for both shampoo and conditioner). All three of these have been great and I switch between them occasionally. These products not only smell great but they work great too. My hair is soft and split ends are prevented when I use these products.
My hair cleansing and styling routine consists of the following:
1) Use Garnier Fructis shampoo and conditioner.
2) After each time I clean my hair, I use Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Intensely smooth leave in conditioning cream. This is great for any season and it doesn’t leave your hair feeling oily and it is a great product to use before you use heat appliances. I focus more on my ends when using this product. I use it on my hair when it is wet or dry, however I don’t use a ton.
3) I let my hair dry naturally so that the blow dryer doesn’t dry out my scalp or fry my ends.
4) Depending on if I plan to straighten or curl my hair, I use a heat tamer. The product that I use for this is TREsemme’s Thermal Creations Heat Tamer Spray. It smells great and protects my hair. I was taught and would recommend using a heat tamer each time you plan to use heat appliances. It’s amazing how much damage they cause.
It may sound a little gross, but I don’t wash my hair a ton during the week (unless I’ve sweated a lot). This helps prevent my scalp from itching due to dryness. The way that I found the products that work best for me is by trying different ones. Focus on the issue you have with your hair. If you know a cosmetologist, ask what they would recommend.
5) Last but not least, I take daily vitamins. I use Women’s One A Day. Our hair is an extension of our body and if we take good care of our bodies, chances are our hair will be healthier. Hope some of these products can solve your winter hair woes! Check back for more hair tips and tricks.